11 August 2014

New York City Day 1


Here's the first day of my recent trip to New York! I stayed there for five days, so make sure to stay tuned for the remaining days!
We got to the City at around 1pm, which was enough time to get settled into our accommodation - Hostelling International, Upper West Side - and look around the area.
I would really recommend this hostel, not only is it really affordable, the location is amazing! The subway is only a block away (2 mins walk) and there are a variety of supermarkets, coffee shops and pharmacies down Broadway Avenue.


After refreshing ourselves, we decided to take the hostel's free tour: Twilight at Brooklyn Bridge.
Our tour guide was Bill, who was very amusing and a very helpful guide. The tour started at 5pm and we took the subway from 103rd Street to Borough Hall (Line 1 then change to Line 2).


We looked around the Brooklyn area and appreciated the architecture of the area, particularly the family residence, whereby the fusion of Dutch and British architecture is seen. 
After a couple of blocks, we finally got to the Promenade. 


The view is spectacular! You can just about see the Statue of Liberty, the Financial District and obviously; Brooklyn Bridge.
We walked through the whole of the Promenade and towards DUMBO. If you're ever in that area, you should try out Shake Shack!


By this time, it was already sunset so we went to Brooklyn Park, where we watched the sun go down. It was spectacularly beautiful! This was my favourite tour of the trip! 
We made our way back to the hostel at around 9pm, by that time, we were exhausted from all the walking and from our flight earlier that day.

The one thing that I really didn't like about the tour were the mosquito bites I got: 8 in total! I was practically an open buffet for them! 







Keep updated with new blog posts by following me on


4 comments:

  1. NYC looks like such a gorgeous place minus the mosquito's even though South Africa has the same issues during the summer season. You have a great blog.

    Meg | Meghan Silva's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! You should definitely go, if you haven't been.
      I didn't expect NY to have mosquitos but I guess being by the riverside, it's inevitable haha

      And thanks! I'll check yours out too!

      Delete
  2. 8 mosquito bites! That's a little crazy. I'm going to catch up with your trip through your blog until I can finally get around to seeing your pics on fb. It looks like such a great trip!

    www.peexo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the writing isn't too boring haha! The pictures I used were the ones from facebook, so you may not need to look at the pictures I uploaded on facebook at all... unless you want to see my face a bit more hahahaha

      Delete